On 18 October 2006, the first parents’ meeting took place at the Metabolic Centre of the Paediatric Hospital of Salzburg.
The initial concerns of the self-help forum are:
• supporting uniform financing by health insurance companies
• supporting the hospital’s research activities
• the possibility of getting to know affected families
• the exchange of information regarding ketogenic diets
The contact person for the “pyruvate dehydrogenase deficiency” self-help group is Mr. Fux who has already founded an association.
Requested agenda items for a further meeting, provisionally in Summer 2007, are:
• Patient groups - organised according to diagnosis
• Presentation on ketogenic diets
• Presentation on causes of mitochondrial disorders